Friday, May 04, 2007

SB 26 - Big Fat Nerd






So, let me tell you a little story about my youth. (this gets nerdy) The very first episode of Dr. Who I ever saw was 'Robot", written by Terrence Dicks. It was the first 4th Doc Tom Baker Episode as well. He first hit the screen in 1974, so this was either America getting the eps really really late or repeats in syndication, because I saw it in like '83 or '84.


This is important because I had already seen Jedi at this point. As a nine year old kid who was teetering on the edge, about to fall into the abyss of geekdom, and not being old enough to care about production costs or good writing, this was a good episode to start with. It started a lifelong ... not so much obsession ... but devotion to Dr. Who that would persist into my '30, with only occasional breaks for actual obsessions like Teletunes or for the show going off the air for a decade or so. Even then, I read the comics and the novels from time to time. Jeff was the real fan, and I was kept updated by him as well.


Having seen Jedi by this point is important because of the slave girl outfit. As with most boys, and a few girls, in a certain age group and demographic, that slave girl outfit was a bit of a turning point in my life. It made me realize that girls were more than targets for propelled dirt clods. And I, along with everybody else, never told a sole. Which brings us back to "Robot". This ep also featured Sarah Jane Smith, played by Elizabeth Sladen, as a plucky reporter trying to make a name for herself, but people give her a hard time because she's a girl. She also had these big doe eyes that a nine year old Jason found totally cute. That actually may be why I tuned back in the next week, and after a few more I was hooked. So there.

What else?

It is my Mom's birthday, so happy birthday Mom. I seriously doubt she reads this blog, but you never know. If she does then I should have had a lot of explaining to do before today.

I saw Spider-Man 3 last night. It was good, but not the strongest of the three. It was a bit choppy, and I think they didn't learn the lessons concerning overindulgence that X-Men or Batman taught us. They just tried to cram too much in there, and even though there was simple way even the odds, the whole last third of the movie seemed really forced. Effects were really good, and even though I was never a big Venom fan, they did a good job with him, and he's in it a lot more than I thought he would be. The thing that really bugged me was that in the whole "temptation" sub-plot where Peter is hanging out with Gwen Stacy was silly to me because the obvious choice would be Ursula, the awkward, and completely hot neighbor across the hall. Idiot.
Okay. So that's it. I gotta go back to work.
-JP

No comments: