Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ramblin'

Well, I've been meaning to post about a great number of things, like the current state of the election, and our trip to Wichita over the weekend, and gushing on my new phone, but every time I sit down to write, I either get distracted or nothing comes out.
So I'm just going to ramble a bit about Internet TV.
I've been a little slow at work lately. Well, not really "slow", but I seem to get everything I need to get done by about noon or so. I guess "fantastically efficient" would be a better phrase. To help pass the time, I re-enrolled in college to get what amounts to an associates degree in web design. The cool thing there is that I can take about 98% of the classes over Internet.* But even that I'm fantastically efficient at. I've been filling the reaming time watching TV shows I can't watch at night because I actually play with my kids. I watched the entire run of The Sarah Connor Chronicles. If you think in your head that the third movie never existed (as I'm sure Claire Danes is), and that plot holes are just a part of science-fiction/time travel movies anyway(How in god's name did Marty McFly's parents not know that their son looks amazingly like the guy that got the together?!?! AND has the same name!), then the show is actually pretty good. They beef up the conspiracy aspect to account for mountains of terminators suddenly running around Los Angeles, which is okay. They need things to do other than just run away from the Terminator of the week. Not even Brian Austin Green could ruin it, and they balance that out by putting Garbage's own Shirley Manson in it (Whom, BTW, I still have a crush on no matter how mediocre her music has become).
So as long as I don't have to keep track of it (ie.: it stays on hulu), I'll keep watching.
I also downloaded all three seasons of The Venture Brothers, which is the best animated show on the air right now. I've seen most of the eps before, but not all in a row. Awesome stuff.
I tried to watch the new Knight Rider. I watched the pilot, and didn't think it was that bad. Mostly because I loved the original when I was 7. I thought maybe the show would have some potential. It does not. Not even Val Kilmer as the voice of the car saves it. Don't bother.
Other bright spots: It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, and maybe Life on Mars. The original British version was phenomenal, and I am weary of the American version, due to a leaked pilot I saw a few months back. They have since re-tooled the show with better actors and a tweaked plot, so we'll see.

That's all I got.

-JP

5 comments:

Fyrebaugh said...

As far as the Back to the Future scenario maybe they named their son after the man that got them together in the first place?

I'm still waiting to see the Knight Rider show, I haven't had the chance to see the pilot, and this week has been tough, still trying to sell the other house, getting it in tip top shape for an open house this weekend. Hopefully I'll get some time this next week to sit around at the new house, although the folks lawn needs mowed, I have cucumbers to pick and watermelons to weed. Not to mention mowing my own lawn, wash the dogs and possibly the cars! DANG!

Bundle Brent said...

I occasionally have the same problem with fantastic efficiency. It didn't used to bother me to waste a little time here and there, but now I find it deeply annoying.

Remember when you refused to go to sleep just because you were bored? You'd pack up a bunch of art supplies and go out to an all-night coffeehouse to prevent boringness from making you boring. I'm glad you're still fighting the good fight!

jpow said...

Now I pack up art supplies and go over to the living room, trying not to awaken my kids.

But that's the same.

right?

Bundle Brent said...

Well, yes, basically. Plus, I'd imagine kids might make you ACTUALLY TIRED, so you'd meet your own criteria for a person who can legitimately go to sleep!

That post reminded of how you always preferred to be engaged in meaningful activity, like artwork (or playing with kids, which is pretty worthwhile) rather than "giving up" on the day out of boredom.

Personally, I now fantasize about naps almost constantly. I took this one unbelievable nap in my Buick, in the underground parking garage of a Whole Foods, that was so perfect I'll never forget it. But I was really tired, not bored.

Fyrebaugh said...

Well I watched Knight Rider last night and I was not let down. There was a bit of "why didn't they just do this" instead of some of the things they did do, like the fire on the car, just get it in the water, it will cool down the fire if not put it out, and the old KITT was waterproof... Why wouldn't the new one be? But then remembering the old Knight Rider, it wasn't the best either, they have at least lived up to the original with better tech!