Thursday, February 26, 2009

Car on Fire!


This is what is left of my car after it caught on fire this morning. I'm fine as it was a gradual thing and not an explosion.
What happened was: I was driving along and the car died. I couldn't get it started again, so had to push it into the center of the highway. I called Jen, and sat and waited. I noticed some smoke, but I had just had the car worked on twice for two separate fluid leaks, which were dripping onto the exhaust, and the mechanic said that it might take a few days for what was still on the exhaust to burn off. So I didn't think much of it. Then another motorist stopped and said that the grass had caught fire, and i noticed stat a lot more smoke was coming from under the hood. I then decided to call 911. While on the phone with them, a passing cop noticed and stopped. They called the fire department, and for a while until the FD showed up, we just sat there and watched it burn. It got worse and worse, and by the time the firemen showed up, there were 8-10 foot flames and a hell of a lot of smoke. They shut down both sides of the highway because my car was taking up one side, and all the smoke was blocking the other.
The fire moved into the cab, an they had to bust out a window to spray down the inside.
Eventually, they got it under control. A wrecker came and hauled it off, and my father in law, who lives about a mile away from where this all happened, gave me a ride to work.
So everything is fine. The wrecker is going to buy it off me to part out the back end, and I can probably get a new car with my tax return.

So there you have it.

-Jason.

4 comments:

mizzzlaura said...

Jason-Oh my! How scary! I'm glad you're OK. Happy belated birthday!
-Laura

Fyrebaugh said...

Holy Frijolies! I have never known anyone who's car has caught on fire before today. I knew it happened, just weird. Glad you are ok!

Bundle Brent said...

Holy *&$%!! Glad you're OK!

Fyrebaugh said...

Find out any information as to why it caught on fire?