Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Disaster movies

I love disaster movies. Actually, I love movies where lots and lots of people die. Shakespeare's tragedies were always my favorites, and I am the only person who has sat through Titus more than once.
Zombie movies hold a special place in my heart, as massive ammounts of people die twice. I like it even more when the death is totally indescriminant. Keep in mind, that as a film lover, most of these movies are never what I would concider good. I mean, come on, Ben Affleck and Bruce Willis are gonna save us from a giant meteor? Piss on Ben Affleck. There are exceptions, of course. 28 Days Later is wonderful, and Peter Jackson's Dead Alive was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Then there are some that are almost good, bit do something that really pisses you off. Case in point: The Day After Tomorrow. Lots of death. There is even an entire sequense where giant tornados destroy Los Angeles for no reason at all. It has nothing to do with the plot. So far, so good. people drowning, freezing, falling off buildings and generally having a pretty poor time. Oh, how are the principles gonna make it? (BTW - you can usually tell who is going to survive by how famous the actor is.) Then they go and ruin it. There is a whole sequence where Jake Gyllenhaal gets attacked by wolves. Fucking wolves!! How stupid is that? It was one of the few times in my life that I have actually thrown something at the TV. The others were Iris because there was no point to that movie, and Signs because M. Night Shayamalan is a one trick pony, and his movies are stupid and predictable now. All this wonderful creepy build up for an alien that looks like Barney. Fuck M. Night. Fuck him right in the ear. Overrated bastard.

My favorite Zombie Movies:
28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Alive
George A Romero's Night of the Living Dead
Cemetary Man
My favorite Disaster movies: (or movies where a lot of people die)
Them
The Hindenburg
The Posiden Adventure
Richard III
Reservoir Dogs

-J.

No comments: