Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Holy Shit, I've been plagiarized!


So a few years ago, the Tulsa World did a little contest where they asked readers to tell the paper what they'd do if they were king or Queen of Tulsa for a day.

We used this nifty Illustration I did for all of the branding.--->

Super prominent on the rules page.

So today, we get an invite to a conference put on by a group called
Social Media Tulsa. This is their logo:












See what they did there?

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I'm glad my stuff is good enough to steal, but on the other hand, 'come on! This is pretty damn obvious.

The image is copyrighted by the Tulsa World, and the matter has been sent up the chain of command, so we'll se what happens from here.

Also, I love how they stole our image off our website, then use it in an invitation to us about attending a social networking conference.

Classy.

-JP

UPDATE!

They sent an email, and the response was along the lines of: We pulled the image off the web and didn't do our homework on where it came from.

They pulled the logo from their website, and are in the process of taking it off of everything else.

So the company that specializes in web related networking didn't do their homework on where an image from the web originated? Riiiight...

UPDATE 2!(3/2/11)

So after apologizing and promising to either remove or replace all existing instances of the work in question, they announced on their blog the other day that they had made a mistake, and are rectifying it with the unavailing of a brand new logo:



See what they did there? Totally different. If this is what they call a total redesign, we have problems. Perhaps they should look up what actually qualifies as a derivative work and even then they will see that our portion of the copyright still holds. Contact has once again been made and we will see what happens next.

UPDATE #3

So they finally made a change good enough to not be plagiarism(at least not of me).
Behold:

So yeah. I guess that's done.

-JP

5 comments:

JM Bell said...

You ought to sue for them having put the terrible font next to your stolen artwork. Double billing on the suit.

Katherine L.M. Powers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jefferson Powers said...

I can't imagine these guys will last long if they carry on like this...

www.brdworks.com said...

yeah, who the F uses that font?

Unknown said...

It was a mistake. A major F up on my part. In my rush to put something fun and positive together, I didn't pay attention to where my friend grabbed the image of a symbol of my home town.

I'm more than willing to take the the thrashings from the community, but since. We were throwing free meetups to get people from all over Tulsa together to talk and share Social Media and share the cool places in Tulsa.

As soon as the error was pointed out, I did everything in my power to change it and fast.

I know Comic Sans is not a popular font and I take my lumps from other geeks.

We are still around and just celebrated our one year anniversary meetup at the all new Dust Bowl lanes and lounge in Downtown.

And we had cake.

It's not guys, it's just me, trying to tell the positive stories of the my home town through the power of the web.

I hope you can bring yourself to forgive me.... Some day. And maybe, just maybe, we can enjoy a beverage together.

Peace
Cheryl Lawson