Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Reflections on 2005

This one was up there. One of the most eventful and roller-coasterish years of my life.
Random thoughts:

In 2005 I:
-Turned 30
-quit a pretty good job
-took a really shitty job
-got fired from that job
-spent almost 3 months unemployed while my pregnant wife supported me.
-landed the best job I've ever had.
-had a really freaky experience watching my son get born
-became a father
-started a blog
-was glad that the rest of the world realized that an all-bacon diet is not healthy.
-watched two marriages destroy themselves
-watched a serial bachelor fall in love and propose
-quit smoking
-gained almost 40 lbs
-started smoking again
-lost 10 of that 40 lbs
-was angered by my president on an almost daily basis
-got addicted to the message boards on the IMDB
-took Jackson on a plane
-bought a new house (twice the size of my old one and the nicest place I have ever lived)
-sold my old house (I actually had to pay $56.00)
-moved to an even smaller town. (I have gone from a town of 4 million to 300,000 to 50,000 in 4 years)
-realized how much I miss being in a town of 4 million
-sold a car and bought 2
-have returned to college levels of sleep, though without substance abuse to help me out
-have not had a decent haircut
-bought more music than in the past 5 years
-saw two friend's bands gain popularity at an alarming rate
-saw a huge weight lifted off my brother's back
-took more photographs and shot more film (of Jack, nach) than ever before
-have yet to make a new friend in my new town
-did not find a suitable place to have Jack christened
-watched three very close friends become first time parents within a few weeks of myself
-got addicted to Arizona iced green tea
-have lost touch with my favorite hockey team
-got a subscription to Entertainment Weekly
-stubbed my toe about a hundred times
-did not do one illegal drug the whole year ( I usually sneak in at least one)
-started to pay attention to commercials that offer something cool for babies
-started watching the Backyardigans on a regular basis
-realized that even though I have never been a violent man, I could easily kill somebody when it came to the safety of my child
-read more novels than in any previous year
-created art less than in any previous year
-realized just how strong my wife can be
-realized just how weak I can be
-every vote I cast went the other way
-realized that I cared more about the animals than the people in any one of the many natural disasters including Katrina
-realized that science has no place in a red state
-saw Episode III and was only mostly disappointed
-bought more stuff on line than ever before
-did not pass out on new year's eve (I think I'm 10 for 30 now)

This next yet will be a little more settled I hope. Jack will keep growing like a weed and we will get better at parenting. I will lose the other 30 lbs, and work hard at my job. Jack will probably enter a preschool or a teaching day care of some sort, and it will freak me out. My dogs will continue to shit on the carpet and the cat will keep shedding on my best clothes. The republicans will lose seats in the congressional elections and a little balance will be brought to the world.

I will get a good haircut.

No comments: