Wednesday, October 04, 2006

My Name Is Michael Caine



The Caine from the '60s is far superior to the one we have now, I think. Don't get me wrong, he's still awesome. But his string of tough-guy movies were some of the best. I kind of wish he'd revisit one of those characters like Terrence Stamp did in The Limey. Now that was a good film. I think that what I like about a lot of British tough-guy movies is how unpretentious they are. From Get Carter on up to Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and even L4yer Cake. They just kind of do their thing. Most don't even have a love interest, or if they do, they aren't used as a MacGuffin or some other lame plot device. The best are the independents. Once studios start getting involved, you get James Bond. I love Bond, but there is far less style in those movies. I have high hopes and low expectations for the new Bond. I dig Daniel Craig, and I love that they are thinking outside the box and reinventing the franchise, but I am weary of the studio involvement. Looks like it was shot well.

Also, The new Thom Yorke album: I wouldn't say I am disappointed, because I saw it coming. I don't really like it though. Remember when the Pixies broke up, and then The Breeders started doing their thing, and Frank Black started doing his thing? I could tell who had done what in the Pixies, and could see how "creative differences" came into play after the band members parted ways. I thought Frank and The Breeders did some awesome stuff, but neither did anything close to what they did as the Pixies. Well, the same thing is happening here. Eraser is filled with everything I didn't like about the direction that Radiohead took after OK Computer. Again, a lot of what they did was bloody brilliant, but certain aspects of it I didn't jump on board for. Listening to this album it is easy to see that the rest of the band may have kept reeling him back and insisting there be actual drums and guitars in their songs. I think there are some good parts on the album, but the further Thom gets into the electronic stuff, the further away from OK Computer he gets. It seems like OK Computer is smack dab in the middle of this album, and Pablo Honey, right where it should be. I think that may be where I like them the best.

No comments: