Thursday, February 21, 2008

What I will be saying next year...

If I haven't jinxed just now, is that 2008 was a pretty rockin year. I have high hopes for the coming presidential election, though I had high hopes for the last two, and was severely disappointed. "They won't vote for Bush," I thought. "They're smart people.
D'oh!
Well, this time people will get it right. At least I will. They are already turning.

So in addition to having two boys running around, an awesome wife, Settling into a great job, and being debt-free(as in no student loans, credit cards or car payments*), I will be very well entertained this year.
I thought Cloverfield was awesome. I know a lot of people did not, but I did. You all know of my love for Godzilla, and this was the first decent giant monster movie out of the states in a long time. Maybe ever. That kicked off what might be the geekiest year ever for movies. The sad fact that Star Trek has been moved from December to May of next year is the only blemmish on the year of the Nerd. This is our time.

Iron Man gives me little tingly feelings in my nether regions. This looks to be one of the best and most faithful comic adaptation since the first Spiderman. (the obvious exception being Persepolis**) Robert Downy Jr. seems to embody Tony Stark completely and with much gusto.

The Dark Knight will be equally cool, and as Heath Ledger's swan song, I hope his talent shows through, and lets everybody know that he truely was one fearless motherfucker.

And then there is the new Indiana Jones movie. Looks like the bad guys are no longer the Nazis, but The U.S. Army and maybe the Roswell aliens. Giggidy.

More Comic Book/Super Hero/Nerd Movies:
The Incredible Hulk: Ed Norton should do a bit better. The last one looked like it was made out of silly putty.
Speed Racer Why does Christina Ricci still get to play teenagers? She almost 30. Oh, right. She's a cutie.
Hancock Even though Will Smith is slipping down the Scientology slope, I will give him the benifit of the doubt on this one.
Hellboy II: The Golden Army Yay!
X-Files 2 Wait, what?
The Clone Wars Hopefully this won't be a crapfest. The animation looks cool, but that means squat.
Wanted This movie has veered really far away from the comic, but for some reason looks cool anyway. Others:
Choke We finally get another movie based on a novel by Chuck Papahniuk, of Fight Club fame. This one looks just as weird.

It looks like George Romero is borrowing a page from Cloverfield with Diary of the Dead. I love Zombie movies, and Romero is the King.
Be Kind Rewind I am getting to be a big fan of Mos Def.
Semi Pro If you don't know about this movie then you have been living in a fisherman's boot.
10,000 B.C. This just looks so wonderfully innaccurate and weird. Wooly Mammoths in Egypt? Do tell.
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Run, Fat Boy, Run
Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay
And those are just the ones I really wanna see, and have the patience to post links to. We also get: Get Smart, Mongol, In Bruges, Death Race 3000, Quantum of Solace, The remake of the Day the Earth Stood Still, Harry Potter, and the second Narnia movie.

Pony up yer sawbuck! We're going to the movies.


*You have no idea how little stress there is when you have no payments other than the house. :)

** Go read this book RIGHT NOW, then see the movie.

1 comment:

Fyrebaugh said...

The only problem I had with Cloverfield was the shaky camera. I know it was done as a premise of the film, as if it was all filmed on handheld cameras, of maybe it actually was filmed on store bought digital video cameras then edited. However, it almost makes me sick. Yes I had problems watching The Bourne Supremacy's car chases too. But yes a good monster movie. Maybe in the next one we will learn more about the monster!