Thursday, March 30, 2006

Sketchbook #6


This week we have a wrench. I don't know why.
That's a lie, yes I do. I had a professor in college who was really into Jim Dine, and I became a fan as well. Partly because my sketches were similar in style, and partly because I really respected the professor, though most students hated him.

Jim Dine did a whole series of drawings involving tools and paintbrushes and the like. He later moved into a really pop-art inspired period where he did hearts and bathrobes and boots. Unfortunately, these are what he's best remembered for, when he's a much deeper and significant artist, doing sculpture and instillation as well, sometimes all at once. I have a certain affinity with Dine, I think because we both have recurring themes in our art. I tend to put swirls and arrows and matches in most of my stuff, and he has hearts and the Venus de milo. We also like to use nontraditional media and we both have a very textural feel to our stuff.
And of course, we're both better known for more goofy stuff.

No comments: