Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Heart day.

I have to say that I like this holiday. I like making valentines and being all arty. Even when I was single, I liked this holiday. I always saw it as full of potential rather than a day to mope and listen to The Cure (though if you choose this path, grasshopper, you will find that The Cure has a surprisingly large amount of love songs, and you will just dig that hole deeper).
Yet another holiday that the Roman Catholic Church used to distract people from, and dissuade them from celebrating a pagan holiday, in this case, Lupercalia.
Lupercalia was celebrated in ancient Rome:

"At this time many of the noble youths and of the magistrates run up and down through the city naked, for sport and laughter striking those they meet with shaggy thongs. And many women of rank also purposely get in their way, and like children at school present their hands to be struck, believing that the pregnant will thus be helped in delivery, and the barren to pregnancy."

In this case, I fully support the change. I only know a few people who would like to be smacked with a "shaggy thong" by a naked rich kid. However, as Hallmark has bastardized this holiday for financial profit, I can see why some have labeled it "singles awareness day".
I remember, back in grade school, when we all gave out little pre-printed cards en masse to every person, male or female in our class. Dropping them into the paper lunch sacks that we spent the previous afternoon decorating, and then carefully taped them to the side of our desks. One year, I got one from the resident hotty of the fifth grade, that was signed "love, Rachel". This was a big deal back then, as grade schoolers rarely shared such deep feelings, and I set that one aside, because it was special, and I had convinced myself that I apparently had a shot with this girl, who every boy (and maybe even one of the girls), had a crush of sorts on. On the way home, while walking along with a few of my buddies, one of them produced an identical card with an identical signature. He was convinced that he had a shot with this girl, because of her emotional outpouring of two words. Then I pulled mine out, and then the third kid pulled his out, and we quickly realized that she had signed each card the same way. All three of us had assumed that our card was unique, and each of us had had the same feeling of requited affection for an entire afternoon, and I bet every boy(and that one girl) in that class felt the same way. I still kept that card for a while after than, just in case.

-JP

No comments: